Sugar is a simple carbohydrate found in food. There are many names for sugar or sucrose on food labels, including fructose and glucose. It is also referred to as dextrose or corn sugar. Even if you are trying to eat a balanced diet, popular ingredients like honey and agave nectar can affect your tooth enamel. According to Mayo Clinic, dentists recommend that patients brush their teeth after eating sugar. Learn why this practice is important and how brushing better will keep your teeth white and healthy.
How Sugar Affects Teeth
As soon as you enjoy a sweet snack or beverage, the sugar in your mouth will begin to attract harmful oral bacteria. These germs like to feed on sugar and will eventually form into sticky plaque. Plaque contributes to a more acidic environment in your mouth. If you do not brush the plaque away with a manual brush or a battery-powered tool like an electric toothbrush or sonic toothbrush, it can lead to cavities or periodontal disease. You may also experience tooth decay.
Benefits of Brushing After Eating Sugar
The effects of eating sugar can wreak havoc on your teeth. Thankfully, it is easy to prevent plaque from forming on your tooth enamel and around your gums. Brushing after eating sugary foods and beverages can make a positive impact on your oral health. The benefits of brushing after eating sucrose include:
- Achieve quick removal of mouth bacteria: If you brush your teeth right after you eat, you will remove the germs as quickly as they arrive. This will keep plaque from forming on your enamel. Using an antibacterial mouthwash after you brush can also help to keep bacteria and acidity away.
- Avoid an acidic mouth environment: When your saliva has a properly balanced pH, your mouth will be in better health. According to Healthline, the pH for a healthy mouth is between 6.2 and 7.6. By brushing and washing bacteria and plaque away, your oral environment will not have a chance to become overly acidic. This will help to prevent cavities and decay.
- Keep your mouth fresh and clean: While brushing your teeth as soon as possible will help to remove bad bacteria, it will also help to keep your mouth and breath fresh and clean. It helps to have teeth whitening products that you can use on the go or when you are busy. Our hands-free toothbrush is perfect for travelers and busy professionals.
How to Brush More Thoroughly
It is always a good idea to watch how much sugar you consume. There are also ways you can immediately improve your brushing routine to combat the impacts of sugar on your teeth. By paying more attention to when and how you brush your teeth, you can avoid enamel decay and cavities. You can also help your smile to look brighter and whiter while avoiding tooth conditions and bad breath. Consider the following strategies in brushing with more purpose:
- Choose the right toothbrush: Not all brushes are created equal. Be sure your tool has soft bristles so it can reach around your teeth and gums to get all of the sugar. A powered toothbrush can make it easier to remove plaque and bacteria. Our GO SMILE Sonic Blue bacteria-killing toothbrush effectively brushes enamel and simultaneously kills remaining oral bacteria with its patented blue wave light technology. Our BLU Hands-Free Toothbrush and Whitening Device offers the same blue light to kill bacteria while providing you with the freedom to do other activities.
- Take your time brushing: Brushing for two minutes is not an old wives’ tale. You should do this twice per day to ensure you clean your teeth thoroughly. Some of our brushes have built-in timers so you always know you are getting a thorough clean. You can also use the timer on your smartphone set for a 2-minute period as recommended by the American Dental Association (ADA).
- Use the right technique: Cleaning quickly in an up-and-down motion will not remove all plaque and bacteria. It may also hurt your gums or your teeth. Instead, start brushing at the gum line while moving in circular motions. Do not grip your brush too hard and resist the urge to scrub your enamel. Instead, loosen your hands and fingers with a gentle, massage-like motion.
Enjoy a White Healthy Smile
With a little time and effort, you can enjoy a whiter and healthier-looking smile. Eating a well-balanced diet and avoiding too much sugar can help to protect your teeth. You can also brush better for healthier tooth enamel. In addition to our effective GO SMILE brushes and hands-free devices, we also recommend our tooth stain erasers. They will help you to remove bacteria and whiten teeth while you are working or traveling.
As you protect your teeth from harm, you can also enhance their look. A gentle teeth whitening kit from GO SMILE will brighten your smile without sensitivity. A beautiful smile involves action and prevention. With all of the tools and tips we have available to you, you are ready for your most beautiful smile ever.